Tuesday, November 10, 2009

In Sickness and In Health

If you have followed any of my posts you will have read that last week my husband was admitted to hospital with an overdose. It is not the first time, but still a time of anguish, emotional upheaval and general feeling of being confused and let down. Each time I am challenged to think deeply of what I have as a marriage and relationship with my husband. Mental illness is a part of our lives but it is just one part and not all of it. Like a bubble, along with others, inside the big bubble of who we are.

I will admit that at times I have felt deep down that maybe it would be best for us all if he succeeded, but that is the selfish part of me speaking and I know that is not our destiny. Life was not supposed to be a bed of roses. The thorns are well and truly there and we can either let them dig in or we can prune them away. You won’t know where the thorns are to prune if you don't rest deep enough. It’s like facing the challenge and growing deeper and stronger for doing so.

I have a daily reading from "The Word For Today" that I read and today's was on "Thoughts On Marriage".
I was encouraged by the last paragraph that said

'a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.' Genesis 2:24 (NKJV). This verse is read at almost every wedding. The problem is, most of us don't think about what we're promising. It means breaking all other ties and giving yourself totally to your mate. Rather than working them into your life, it's building your life around them. The word 'cleave' means to stick like glue through bad times and good, and to commit to loving and caring for each other.'

Many times people who don't understand this have suggested it would be best to walk away or seem surprised that I would stay and live with all that is a mental illness. When we marry some use the vows

"to have and to hold
from this day forward;
for better, for worse,
for richer, for poorer,
in sickness and in health,
to love and to cherish,
till death us do part,
according to God's holy law.
In the presence of God I make this vow."


and this is now one of those times.
As the above says,
... stick like glue through bad times and good, and (to) commit to loving and caring for each other.'

It is still early days but we are on the road of recovery again and learning new ways to stand strong.

No comments :

Post a Comment