Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas

Christmas has been and gone and in the rush of it all, the stress I have had this year, I have struggled with keeping in sight the true meaning of Christmas.
Christmas is what it says Christ Mass. We celebrate the love of God by sending Jesus to us as a baby, who would later die on the cross for us to save us from the penalty of our sins.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16 (New International Version)

I was trying so much to have the "perfect" Christmas for everyone I almost forgot the true meaning of why we celebrate. My daughters helped out each with baking and bringing food but I was still consumed with making it all perfect or I would have felt I had failed. I look now at all the left over food and mess and think 'why did I do that to myself'.

I receive a daily inspiration quote as an email from Inspire Your Day I don't always agree with what the quote says but I found today's one a gentle reminder or me.

"Open your eyes to the beauty around you,
Open your mind to the wonders of life,
Open your heart to those who love you,
And always be true to yourself." - Unknown


Christmas days one had been similar in that it ended with respecting myself and I realised that through all this I had not been doing so.
"Christmas gift suggestions:
To your enemy, forgiveness.
To an opponent, tolerance.
To a friend, your heart.
To a customer, service.
To all, charity.
To every child, a good example.
To yourself, respect."
-
Oren Arnold
I had been to the Christmas Eve service which is a time of stillness for me. Being surrounded by candles in the darkness and the hushed voices I am reminded of that very first Christmas. I always value this time for just me to refocus. But the following day seemed to hold its stresses for me of not performing as I thought I should.

Over the next few days I will remember to love myself and do unto me as I would to others. With all the hype of Christmas we can so easily loose the meaning of the season. I know this is so often 'preached' but it is not just to remember Christ in it all but to love yourself too. God does not want us to be a martyr but to take time to rest in His love and remember all He has for us.


No comments :

Post a Comment