Monday, April 19, 2010

Macaroni Cheese

I love pasta but unfortunately my husband isn't that keen so if he is away or there are enough left overs to make up a meal for him the rest of us have pasta. I would eat it all the time if I could but then I realised that the recipes I like don't have many 'greens' so one would have to have a lot of salad etc to get a balanced meal. However every now and again pasta is goooood!!

One my son loves is macaroni cheese and I have made it so often that I don't have it written down (like a lot of my recipes) as I have changed it over the years. And I don't really know the quantities so you have to guess.
This serves two people and the milk is really just a guess. If you know how to make white sauce you will know how to adjust it.



Macaroni elbows (about a cup)
20gr butter
half an onion
1 tblsp flour
a few slices  of ham or bacon
1 cup milk approx
1/4 tsp dry mustard
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 cup of grated cheese
breadcrumbs
tomato
Bring to the boil a large pot of salted water and add a few drops of cooking oil (this helps the pasta stop sticking together).Add pasta to boiling water and cook macaroni until just cooked.

Melt the butter in a microwave and oven proof dish you will cook the macaroni in.
Add the diced onion and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add chopped bacon/ham and cook for another two minutes.
Blend in flour and cook for about 30 seconds.
Slowly stir in milk a few tablespoons at a time. Once it is a creamy mix add rest of milk stirring well and then cook on high for about 3-4 minutes stirring every minute. Add more milk if it is too thick.
Add the seasoning and cook another minute until the mixture is a white sauce consistency.
Add 3/4 cup of grated cheese and stir in straight away so it melts.
Add drained pasta and mix through.
Flatten and top with the rest of the grated cheese and a handful of bread crumbs.
Place sliced tomatoes on the top.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 180C or until the topping just starts to turn golden

2 comments :

  1. My DH doesn't like pasta at all. He tells me it makes him 'gag'! So it's not very often I get to have any either.
    Maybe I'd add some grated zucchini on top.Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo,I love macaroni cheese.Hi Fiona,I found your blog via Maa.
    D..

    ReplyDelete