Monday, June 28, 2010

Honour Thy Father and Mother

Our Vicar preached from Galatians 4:1-7 in particular verse 6 how that we can not call God the Father “Abba” or “Daddy” unless the Spirit enables us.

Galatians 4:6 6 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father."

We also had a member of our parish, a lady whose husband and she help run the Fatherheart Ministries also speak from the same piece of scripture but from Galatians 3:26 – 4:7 . She talked about being Son’s of God and so when we call God the King of Kings then that makes us Princes and Princess’s. She recalled us to the garden of Eden where God first placed Adam and Eve and how they were free there and walked and talked with God their Father. Are we free to do this too? She challenged us to get rid of “the fig leaves” we now wear to hide from who we really are.

But a man in the congregation also bought a vision of the cross and our earthly father standing behind it wearing a crown. He is the king/lord of our families and we are to honour and reconnect with them.

On Thursday evening I had been to a Workshop at our church put on by Presbyterian Support Northern presented by Jude Simpson who had been a victim but it was not her father. She now has an amazing testimony and one of the things she shares is her quiet loving relationship with her father who died when she was quite young. It was part of that relationship that gave her a glimpse of Abba Father.



I was reminded of the blessing of the relationship I have with my parents especially my father and how I need to honour them more.





Here he is at Sarah’s wedding in 2006




 





And at his 80th in 2009











And with my Mum.









My father loves me almost the same as Abba Father. He has always been there and does not hold past wrongs against me. In fact he forgives with out even questioning and loves us in away that is like God. I know I am extremely fortunate to have an earthly Father like him as I have over the years discovered it is extremely rare. The way he loves me has been a gift that helped me to see how much God loves me he and I have both said we love each other, face to face and I know that is very precious.

Posting this here is to tell the world how much I honour him and my mother as God tells us to.

Deuteronomy 5:16
16 "Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

All scripture is from (New International Version)

No comments :

Post a Comment