Monday, September 12, 2011

My Version of Julie & Julia

I don't know if you have read or seen the story Julie  Julia (In the movie Meryl Streep is Julia Child and Amy Adams is Julie Powell) but it is the true story of Julie and how she wants to cook all 524 recipes from Julia Childs cook book, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", in 365 Days. She started a blog to share her experiences. The year was hard on her marriage and Julia Child found out about it and was not impressed, but yes she succeeded much to her blog fans delight.


I read the book a couple of years ago and saw the movie, but as is in a lot of cases the movie missed out a lot of good parts, like the day all the power went off in New York but her friends came around to her place knowing she would be cooking up a recipe. 

In the weekend I started to do some clean out and decuttering in the kitchen. I sorted recipe books and found all the recipes I have torn out of magazines and newspapers and ones I have jotted down while watching a TV cooking show.

Part of me said I should just toss them all in the fire as I could search the internet if I needed a recipe for something, but the thing was - I had collected those recipes for reason.

When I read the book Julie & Julia I had wanted to do the same thing but couldn't choose a cookbook to go through so never started.

So I decided this is what I would do. They are all in a large plastic bag and I will choose a recipe and try to cook one a day and then save it or biff it depending on whether it is a recipe I think I will ever use again.

I've already pulled out a few and they all seemed to have something extra I don't have, whether it be a grocery item or something that is not in season yet. I will start it as soon as I have been shopping and start a new section of this blog for you to follow if you are interested but also to show the recipes as I go along.

I'm hoping that I can start a new tab at the top of my blog, but still on this page, that you can click on to follow along.

No comments :

Post a Comment