Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mumsey’s Lemon Cheese Muffins

The other day I went to visit a friend. She had sent me an email, that I really wanted to talk about in person rather than just click on a reply. Sometimes I like to see a person to chat.
We had a hot cuppa and chatted and then by the time I went home I was blessed with lemons, mandarins, silver beet and sage all grown at her place not to mention the fresh duck eggs, cow’s milk and homemade cream cheese.
Straight away a put some of the ingredients (duck egg, cow’s milk, cream cheese and lemons) together with this recipe I invented from something I had tasted at a café once.


Mumsey’s Lemon Cheese Muffins 
2 cups of self-raising flour
¾ cup sugar
1 large or 2 small lemons (Grate rind and juice lemons)
Milk to make up to 1 cup (see recipe)
1 egg
80 grs butter
100gr cream cheese

Well grease a 12 muffin tray or place paper muffin cases in the tins.
Mix the flour and sugar together in a large bowl and add the grated rind from the lemon(s).
Juice the lemon(s) and pour the juice into a 1 cup measure.
Top with milk to make 1 cup of liquid. This will become lumpy which is fine.
Melt the butter and add the egg beating well.
Add the milk mix to the butter and egg, mix together and then pour into the dry ingredients.
Fold liquids into the dry ingredients about 14 times until just mixed.
Some little bits of flour can still be seen.
Fill the tin muffin tins to about 1 centimeter depth and then make a bit of a well in the middle. I use my fingers to gently form the hollow so I can ‘feel’ that the mixture isn’t getting squashed.
Add a dollop of cream cheese (about a heaped teaspoon full) in the middle and then top with more mixture trying to cover all the cream cheese and using up the muffin mix.
Bake at 200ºC for 15 to 20 mins.
Check as you just want the tops to be slightly browned.

No comments :

Post a Comment