Monday, April 15, 2013

Feijoa and Ginger Muffins



It's that time of the year again when the feijoas fall and I have to do something about them.
I've sent some to my youngest, Katrina, now in the South Island as she loves them and now I am trying out some of my favourite but also some new recipes for them.   

I have made this recipe before but found it quite "wholemeally" (I know - not really a word) but I thought I would try them again and I ate two as soon as they were cool enough to handle after they had come out of the oven. I don't know if I was just hungry or what but they were really quite nice.
I had another the day after and they are still quite moist but nicer if warmed slightly in the microwave.
Remember to use a low setting rather than on "high" or you will end up cooking them more and drying them out.

1 ½ cups plain flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
2 tsp ground ginger
2 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup raw sugar

50 grams butter
1 cup milk
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped feijoas


Preheat oven to 180C (350F), prepare pans by greasing well or lining with paper muffin cups.
Mix together the flours, ginger, baking powder, soda and sugar. (first 6 ingredients)
Melt the butter and add the milk, egg and vanilla beating well with a fork.
Combine the liquid ingredients to the dry and add the feijoas mixing until just combined.
Spoon into pans and bake for 15 minutes.
A small slice of crystallised ginger may be placed on top of each muffin before baking if desired. (But I don't do this)

No comments :

Post a Comment