Friday, June 7, 2013

Mumsey's Lunch Time Frittata


In the cooler winter months I often feel like something warm and filling for lunch but not toast and a sachet of cup of soup or something out of a can.

As we are now down to just the two of us I am still adjusting to how much to make each meal and Harry is not a great vegetable eater, so there is often left over veggies in the fridge.
As an adaption to my self crusting quiche recipe I now make up a simple frittata that I cook in the microwave, in no time at all.
If you preferred you could cook it in the oven for twenty minutes which would brown the top off a bit and then use the cooling oven to dry crusts or herbs.

Use any combination of veggies and even thinly sliced leftover cooked meat.
 
Today I used:

40 gr left over cooked carrot
10 gram left over cooked broccolli
half an oinon
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
knob of butter
40 gr grated Edam cheese

I chopped the onion up and cooked it in the butter on high for 1 min in the morcowave giving it a stir once.
I chopped into 2 cm. size chucks,  the carrots and added them with the broken pieces of broccoli and chopped parsley.
I sprinkled the top with the cheese.

I then combined

1 egg
1 tbsp self raising flour
1/2 tsp mixed herb stock
dash of cayenne pepper
(seasoning to suit your taste)

then gradually beat in with a fork

1/2 cup milk

I poured this mixture evenly of the veggies and cheese and cooked it on high in the microwave for 3 mins and then medium for 1 min.
I let it stand for 4 or 5 mins and it was ready to eat.

It was all ready in fifteen minutes from when I first started.
You could serve it with a side salad and/or your favourite chutney just like at a cafe!! 


2 comments :

  1. If I made this for Petal, he still wouldn't eat it. He's not a great vegetable lover either. I eat lots even if I don't particularly like them. I know how good they are for you. It was lovely to chat with you and I hope to do it again sometime. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sue I loved talking to you. Its so great to have that extra connection. Harry wouldn't eat this either that's why I have it for lunch.XX

    ReplyDelete