Monday, February 17, 2014

This Is An Orange

At the beginning of the citrus season I found a rather misshaped or is it misshapen orange on our tree.
I wish I had taken a pic of it when I first noticed it had lumps and bumps in the wrong places!






As you can see it has grown into something quite odd.













The rest of the fruit on the tree were fine. Sweet and juicy.

I wasn't quite sure what to do with it, I mean its hardly the shape to juice on a juicer.

In the end I needed some orange peel for a recipe and so I decided to grate as much of the peel I could and then cut it open to see what it was like inside.






It was interesting as it still had segments as an orange is supposed to but they seemed to have developed in the wrong way.

It was like each segment wanted to have its own outside skin.

There was still juicy in side the segments but very awkward to extract.

Not sure how it had happened and none of the other fruit have had this problem.
I would suspect it had something to do with the flower before the fruit was formed and maybe it was eaten by a bug.

No comments :

Post a Comment